Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The journey Christ has us on...it is time to be scattered

Does anyone in the body realize that we are all on a journey? I mean how many who are born again end up just staying in one place all of their life without ever reaching out to others. Or how many just want to continue on with the same group of people and never explore what the Lord may have for them?
Once Jesus went to heaven and He sent the Helper what did the disciples do?
They were baptized with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit and they stayed in Jerusalem.
It seems that they may have been complacent and not willing to journey out beyond the walls of that city.
What did God do in order to get them out of the city and onto the journey He set before them?
He sent a disturbance. Look at the Acts 8.
"And there arose on that day a great persecution against the church in Jerusalem, and they were all scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles." Acts 8:1
Now go down to Acts 8:4
" Now those who were scattered went about preaching the word. Phillip went down to the city of Samaria and proclaimed to them the Christ."
What happened when persecution came? The disciples were scattered. All except the apostles.
The men and women have recieved a great message and were filled with the Spirit. Yet they were going to stay in Jerusalem with the apostles. Yet God had other plans. He had a great message that needed to get outside of the city and into the world. So He made things a little rough for the disciples who were satisfied.
He sent Saul and others to torture and scatter them.
Next we read about Phillip and what he did afterward. You see our life in Christ is not meant to be just lived out with the same group of people until we die. We are to be out and moving forward with the good news.
My life mirrors some of this. Not the persecution per se, but the fact that the Lord hasn't allowed me to become complacent. He brings me to a place with fellow believers. I stay learn and minister then God puts things in my heart that makes me know, it is time to go.
This has happened a lot in the last 10 or so years. My life is not normal in terms of staying with the same group of people for too long.
I personally can say that one of the places I fellowshipped is not even around anymore. God scattered the people. Now those who were in that church are all over in different regions and states.
Now I am on the move again. No, I am not moving from the city I live in, but I am being moved from the person I have been ministering with for the last year and a half. God took me and placed someone in my life to show me somethings and then said it is time. Now go!
It is not an easy thing to do when you have to physically leave those whom you love and fellowship with. Yet how else will we ever be able to reach out to others if we continue to stay in one place?
Our walk should be a journey. We should be willing to say yes Lord not my will, but Yours be done. A lot of people have wasted their lives staying put and not journeying. Plus in a lot of fellowships you have kind hearted pastors who don't want to let go of those God has told to leave.
In time those relationships can become bitter and then what happens?
If God is telling you it is time to move on don't worry about what to next. He will supply all our needs according to His riches in glory.
We are not our own we have been bought with a price. We don't belong to a covenant made by men. No we belong to God. If He says it is time then you better listen.
Pastors if you have people you know are leaders and you hold onto them and never let them go are you really being a "shepherd"? A good leader will know when to let go of those he loves and see them continue on the journey God has for them.
Don't waste your life serving man. Use your life to serve God!

1 comment:

Austin L. said...

That was really good. Just ran across your site and I really liked it.